Who’s in Control? (Joshua 1:8)
A. The bible contains more than 2,350 verses dealing with money and possessions
B. Jesus taught more about money than almost any other subject
1. Spiritual reasons
a. How we handle money has a big impact on the intimacy of our relationship with Christ.
b. Money is the primary competitor with Christ for the lordship of our lives.
2. Practical reasons
a. We need wisdom in using money.
b. Scripture outlines principles for working, earning, spending, saving, investing, giving, getting out of debt, and teaching children how to handle money.
II. God’s Responsibilities –
A. God is the owner of everything: “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it” -Psalm 24:1
1. God owns all the silver and gold (Haggai 2:8)
2. God owns all the land (Leviticus 25:23)
3. God owns all the animals (Psalm 50:10-12)
4. God created all things and never transferred ownership to man
5. God owns all “our” possessions (Luke 14:33)
B. God is in control
1. Of every event (Psalm 135:6, Daniel 4:34-35)
2. Of difficult circumstances (Romans 8:28, life of Joseph in Genesis)
C. God will provide our needs
1. Jehovah-jireh = “the Lord will provide” (Genesis 22:14)
2. According to His riches (Phillippians 4:19)
III. Our Responsibilities –
A. We are stewards of God’s possessions
B. We are to be faithful (1 Corinthians 4:2)
C. We are to be faithful with all that we have
D. We are to be faithful in little things (Luke 16:10)
E. When we are faithful, we will benefit in three ways:
1. We will grow closer to Jesus Christ (John 14:21)
2. We will develop godly character
3. We will begin to have financial stability
A. Beware of extreme teachings on wealth and poverty!
B. One extreme- godliness can only occur in poverty
C. The other extreme- All Christians who truly have faith will prosper financially
1. Consider the life of Joseph (Genesis 38-50) as a helpful model
2. Key passage to guide us concerning “prosperity”: Joshua 1:8
|« Instruction for Repentence||None||A Slave to the Lender, Living Debt Free »|
8 This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. (ESV)